TO PARENTS AND ONSLOW COUNTY SCHOOLS STAFF
In preparing for severe or inclement weather, it sometimes becomes necessary for a decision to be made concerning the closing of school or delaying of school hours. After conferring with the National Weather Service and various emergency agencies, a decision will be made on whether to delay or close school. This decision will be made in a timely manner so that information can be communicated to all parties. Since we are a county-wide school system, a decision to close schools or delay school hours will affect all schools throughout Onslow County. In order to effectively communicate this information, school officials are asking all students, parents and school employees to follow the suggestions listed below:
The parent's/guardian's primary contact phone number will be registered with your child's school to receive automated messages. School cancellations or delays will be announced through the school system's automated alert network. In addition, the registration of your phone numbers is essential to allow the school to contact you in case of an emergency.
1. Log-on to our system's web site at http://www.onslow.k12.nc.us/ to read current information on school closings or delays.
2. Call the Onslow County Schools "Information Line" at (910) 989-2211 to hear current information on school closings or delays.
3. Listen to one of the area radio stations: WKOO (98.7FM), WXQR (105.5FM), WDLX (93FM), WSFL (106.5FM), or WRNS (95.1 FM) or your local favorite radio station.
4. While we will notify area television stations, they have certain time restraints in getting information on the air, due to the large volume of closings they list.
5. Please do not telephone radio or television stations, newspaper offices, school officials or school offices.
6. THE ABSENCE OF ANY ANNOUNCEMENT MEANS THAT THE SCHOOLS WILL OPEN OR CLOSE AS USUAL.
Over 15, 000 of the approximately 24,000 students in the Onslow County School System travel to and from school by bus. Many times road conditions on our much- traveled primary roads are quite different from those on our less frequently traveled secondary roads. When making a decision on opening or closing schools, school officials are primarily concerned with the safety and welfare of all pupils and staff members.