Week of 4/24-4/28
Students should be practicing multiplication facts EVERYDAY.
Don't forget to send in Box Tops!!
Below are some ways you can stay informed on your child's progress.
- Sign up for parent portal. This allows you to view your child’s grades and assignments 24 hours a day/7 days a week. Simply log on to the Carolina Forest webpage, scroll down to Parent Portal, print the form, and return it with a copy of your ID. Once the school receives this, a username and password will be issued to you. I will be happy to turn in the form to Ms. Mathis once I receive it. She is processing them as she gets them so it may take some time to get your log in.
- Check your child’s agenda nightly and initial the page. This is your way of knowing what they are supposed to do for homework.
- Late homework will NOT be accepted unless your child was sick. Homework counts as 10% of your child’s
The Read to Achieve Law requires that 3rd grade students demonstrate reading proficiency prior to be promoted to 4th grade. Students may demonstrate 3rdgrade reading proficiency in several ways:
1. Passing the NC READY EOG in Reading (To be administered May, 2017)
2. Completing a 3rd Grade Reading Portfolio (This consists of a series of reading passages and questions that your child is currently working on at school)
3. Achieving a reading level of “P” or higher on their TRC reading assessment
4. Passing the NC BOG Reading Test
5. Passing an alternate RTA assessment in Reading after the EOG
6. Passing an NC READY EOG Retest in Reading
Letters have been sent home if your child has not mastered standards for their Reading Portfolio so far. I have also sent home the related Study Island practice that your child can do to help them. They will then be given the opportunity to complete another passage in hopes of improving their overall score.
- What we are working on this week:
Math: Students will begin learning about fractions.
Reading: Students will learn about the elements of Poetry. They will continue learning reading strategies.
Science:Students will continue learning about the Human Body. We will focus on the Muscular System.
Word Study: This week we will focus on compound words. Both groups will have the same words.
Writing: Students will be finish their own Fairy Tale and begin writing poems.
Group 1 and Group 2 same words
Pattern of the week- Compound Words
Important Upcoming Classroom/School Events
- Apr 28th Reading Celebration
- May 5th Field Day
- May 8th Progress Reports
- May 11th Step Up Night
- May 19th Spring Fling